Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default lathe belt trouble?

Tom Huntress wrote:

it. If anyone could give me advice, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Tom

Tom, I own the 12x36 (SKU T34706) lathe from them.

Remove the sheet metal plate and oil the motor pulley. You'll see a hole
(should be plugged by a ball bearing). Give it a couple shots of
regular oil (10w what ever is handy). Then, unless you've got a flexible
spout oil can, pull the headstock off the base and invert it. You'll
find a corresponding oil hole for the headstock reeves drive pulleys
drilled through a machine screw. Now is also a good time to oil the
gearing that the speed crank operates. There is another lubrication
passage directly under the spindle. I'm not sure what Central Machinery
suggests for lube, but here I use grease from a needle nose fitting.

Once all is lubed, and with the belt removed, try moving the pulleys in
and out by hand. Keep your fingers out of the opened pulleys. Once they
move smoothly, replace the belt and the headstock. Then, with the motor
running, move the speed control lever. All should be smooth at this
point. Probably smoother than it came from the factory, actually. (The
speed control uses rack and pinion shafts made from SOFT metal ... do
NOT force them. Not even a little bit. DAMHIKT)

The pulleys are fragile ... don't whack them with anything or you'll end
up having to talk with the glaciers in HF parts dept.

Hope this helps ... just had to do it with mine.

Bill
--

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
Henry J. Kaiser (1882 - 1967)

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-1, 12/16/2006
Tested on: 12/18/2006 1:12:39 PM