Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] robert@invalid.invalid is offline

Default Laying and Cutting Slate Tiles

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:50:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

Hi,

Our bathroom currently has bare floorboards and am looking to lay slate
tiles. The area is fairly small (~3m2) and the floor is pretty level.

What is the best way to do this? Presume I need to prepare the floor
first to lay the tiles? Obviously there is a number of obstacles to
fit around (Toilet, Sink, etc). What is the best way of cutting slate
tiles? I have a good jijsaw, can you get appropriate blades?

Thanks in advance

Will Owen

First of all get rid of the florboards and screw down something
stable..you might as well use water resistant ply..

Then use a thick base of flexible cement, or the tiles will crack up.
Buy a rotary diamond disc tile cutter for the fancy work. It makes
mincemeat of cutting.

Replacing the floorboards with ply (and maybe stiffing the joists with
some noggins especially in an old house ) could reduce the extra floor
thickness you will otherwise end up
Robert