DoN. Nichols

Default Cutting or punching square holes in steel sheet?

In article , Q wrote:

"William" skrev i en meddelelse

[ ... ]

DAM that's a funny size Square!! Greenlee makes a RECTANGULAR punch

46X92mm

[ ... ]

The 46*92 mm punch is the closest thing yet, but I need the width to be 108
mm ( I posted the excact dimensions somehwere in this thread )..

That hydraulic punch driver.. any clue on cost ?.... Would it be possible to
use one of those cheap hydraulic press thingies like this one?
http://www.biltema.dk/products/produ...?iItemId=17854 ( can get
this one for about 150$ wich I find cheap )... It is rated for 5 tons..

I don't think that it would work well -- without a *lot* of
special fixturing first being applied.

The hydraulic drivers for the chassis punches -- only my belief,
as I have never had my hands on one, so others can fill in corrections
at will -- has a hollow piston on a cylinder at the end of a hose. The
base of the cylinder rests against the top of the die. A bolt is placed
though the hole in the piston, through a hole drilled or punched in the
sheet metal, and then threaded into the punch. (Hm ... this is for
round punches only. Keyed ones, and rectangular or square punches have
a screw with a keyed shape which goes through the die and the punch, and
(for the sizes which I have used), have a nut to draw the punch down into
the die (and through the sheet metal). Some more complex ones have three
drawscrews which go through the die and thread into the punch. (An
example of this is the one for the DB-25 connector mounting cutout.)

There needs to be some way to assure that the punch and die are
in proper alignment. Your hydraulic press won't do that by itself.
Neither will a single draw screw -- unless there are some guide pins to
either side of the screw to maintain alignment.

Anyway -- the hollow piston hydraulic slave cylinder is powered
by a hand-operated pump, or an electric one -- capable of 10,000 PSI
(sorry -- I don't know how many Pascals that would be -- not used to
Metric units of pressure yet.) Enerpac is one of the makers of such
pumps, and may be the maker for the Greenlee sets, for all I know.) I
believe that the cylinders in question can develop 10 tons of force from
10,000 PSI of hydraulic pressure.

Square vs Rectangular :Just shows that I shouldnt post messages in a foreign
language when I got up at 4 am and worked for 12 hours :-)

Well ... "square" also can be used to mean "at right angles", so
"square" here distinguished it from round or a parallelogram or
trapezoid, so you can claim one of those meanings. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564