Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default convection oven wiring

In article .com,
says...
I bought a convection oven (Bosch, 700 series), and the installation
instructions say it need 15.8 amps (120/240V).
Every book and documentation I researched are mentioning electrical
ovens needing 40 or 50 Amps, so I am a little surprised, and would like
to hear from anybody whether maybe newer ovens are drawing less
electricity ?

Convection ovens typically draw a lot less power than the traditional
type, so this isn't much of a surprise. Rather than consulting books
which provide general information, you need to go with the specific
information provided by the manufacturer of your oven -- this would be
true even if you were installing one of the big 40A or 50A units -- and
that specific information seems to indicate a much lower amperage.

I was thinking going for a 30Amps breakers

Not necessary -- and if the oven is cord-and-plug connected, instead of
being permanently wired in, it's a violation of the electrical code,
too. (A cord-and-plug connected 15.8 amp device certainly has a 20A plug
on it. Code doesn't permit installing 20A receptacles on a 30A circuit.)

(I don't even think I can
find find 20 Amps 2 poles breakers for my service panel).

I bet you can. Have you checked? They're pretty common.