Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default using polyfilla around a rawlplug

torge conrad maguar wrote:
Have just been drilling into a dividing wall in a 1936 terraced house in
London, to hang up a cupboard in the bedroom.

What I'm drilling into is almost like soft sand. I guess it must be some
kind of breeze block mortar that has deteriorated? The only thoughts I have
is to pack some polyfilla around the rawlplug to fill in the hole and get
some grip. Is that a good idea? Novice appreciates any advice on what best
to do. thanks.

Its not a bad idea, though sand and cement mortar is better. Often pays
to make quite a large hole, paint it with THICK PVA, slap in the mortar
and push the plug into that leaving a matchstick sticking out, then when
set make good with plaster and paint..then pull the matchstick out and
screw whatever into the hole.