Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Do they make 12volt Compact Florescents

In article ,
Rich256 wrote in part:

Many of the RVs have fluorescents or LEDs. LEDs are kind of directional
and expensive.

There are some wide coverage LEDs out there now.

However, cost of LEDs remains a valid issue, especially for wattage more
than just a few watts.

Other LED issues:

1) Although there are now some with as much efficiency (more properly
"overall luminous efficacy") as high as that of most compact
fluorescents, most LEDs are not that efficient.
Meanwhile, LEDs have had all sorts of hype as to efficiency, with a
good bit of this hype being definitely untrue.

2) The more efficient white LEDs have color of "cool white" and
"daylight" shades. These can easily have a "dreary gray" effect when
doing room lighting with illumation level below the levels of near
or over 100 footcandles or 1100 lux common in offices and classrooms.
There are "warm white" LEDs, but so far in my experience they are
dimmer and less efficient than their relatives of "cooler" shades of
white.

3) White LEDs mostly have color distortions roughly in the same direction
as most non-triphosphor fluorescents - making reds and greens darker
and more-brownish (sometimes more grayish). Thankfully their
color rendering is better than that of "old tech cool white"
fluorescents! Most non-dollar-store compact fluorescents have a
triphosphor formulation, and avoid these effects - my main color
rendering complaint of those is that many red objects are rendered a
bit orangish.

However, I am all in favor of LED and other non-incandescent lighting
whenever and wherever it does work! LEDs are advancing but somewhat
slowly!

- Don Klipstein )