Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default If It Weren't For Christmas (Birthdays, Weddings, etc.)

I don't know about you, but if it weren't for Christmas, birthdays,
weddings and the like - every surface in my place suitable for
displaying, or for that matter, just keeping things off the floor,
would be occupied by turnings I've done over the last year. There'd
be magic wands and hair stick, candle holders, tops, and an astounding
number of Weed Pots, a plate or two, more than a few bowls, finials
waiting for just the right piece to top, odd eccentric turnings, several
scaled back and somewhat successful trembleurs, small, totally non
functional whimsical things, spoons and spatulas for every application
- and Turned Lidded Boxes - lots and lots and lots of Turned Lidded
Boxes - EVERYWHERE.

With only one exception, all of these turning were begun with no idea,
or only a vague idea of where I was going, a previous piece inspiring
the next piece, a largish (for a mini-lathe) chunk of wood mounted
between centers which might have something inside that's interesting,
a branch or piece of a log that looks turnable. If what I turned was
in anyway interesting, in any way - I kept it. Initially, everything I
turned - that didn't crack, or wasn't turned down to nothing - was
interesting.

After a while, as I got fair to good at each style or form of turning
I began the "show and tell" part of being a Turniste - showing the
latest creation to anyone within range. If they liked it, or made
me think they liked it, it was theirs to keep. The girls at Quiznos
and several women in the neighborhood got hair sticks, as did the
two daughters of a Mexican restaraunt I go to for quesedillas.
The nice lady at the Mexican restaraunt I frequent for lunch now
has a small bud vase (larger weed pot with a test tube insert)
and her son and daughter each have their own magic wands.
My chiropractor got a turned lidded box from a deodor cedar log
that'd been out behind her building, along with a small bowl of the
same stuff. The women at my Dontist's office have - a magic
wand for a grand daughter, hair sticks and/or a nice weed pot
for the others.

However, with each type of turning, there were three, four and
sometimes five pieces that were special - the first of a new to
me technique, a particularly nice combination of curves, an
interesting figure to the wood. These were sign posts on my
turning journey - or more accurately - post cards of the trip,
reminders of where I'd been (despite having megs and megs
of digital photos of them as well).

But there are special occassions that trigger The Generosity
Gene - special occassions - Christmas, birthdays, weddings,
-Thursday. Then a better, or best of a type of piece, leaves
home, to go and live with the person, or people, for whom it
was unconsciously meant.

And it's a damned good thing that happens - or I'd be up to
may ass in turned wood. THAT would be inconvenient -and
one hell of a fire hazard. Am getting to the point where
I turn better knowing that this piece may become a memory
of the guy who helped, literally, to turn it into what it is
now.

How good did you have to get before you started showing
people your turnings?

So what gets you to part with pieces?

If the answer to the last question is "Nothing! ,
then
how do you keep from tripping over them or being
crushed in the avalanche when a pile falls on you?

charlie b