Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 6 volts DC for 2 inch TV

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Delco used a very thin double sided PC board at the input as a "Spark
plate", followed by a large filter choke. Anything over the voltage
rating of the gap arced over from the input lead, directly to the
radio's case.

And this was used to protect against voltages of 50 or so? I really can't
see that being a reliable method in the hostile environment of a car.

I dont think 50v would jump that. The LC is what does the work. The L
limits how much i will flow during load dump, and the C means that i
flow results in little v change.

BTW, the first transistor car radio I had was a hybrid kit where only the
AF was handled by transistors. Early '60s. No sign of anything like that
on it. Perhaps Lucas electrics couldn't produce much over 14 volts. ;-)

I presume it had an LC power filter.

Last time I had Lucas electrics it boiled the battery.

NT