Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Concrete Fence Posts

Weatherlawyer wrote:
John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing
rods corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture
getting into the concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or
isn't this corrosion much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

And the 18 inch by 14 inch lump of concrete at the base of each one? - will
that just melt away leaving a new hole for the £10 posts to go in?

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

They don't last 'decades' neither, at least, most of them don't, I've seen
posts disintegrate within 5 years in exposed conditions.