Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Concrete Fence Posts

"visionset" wrote in message

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
Just a thought as I have just had a new fence.....

Concrete posts sometimes seem to fail due to the steel reinforcing rods
corroding. Is there any point in trying to reduce moisture getting into
the
concrete by using some sort of paint or sealant? Or isn't this corrosion
much of an issue on new posts?

Don't be so bloody daft. They are only a tenner or so to replace. They
should easily last a couple of decades.

Start saving up now. Thats 50 pence a post per annum. Can you afford a
penny a week?

As funny as that response was, the question perhaps in these greener times
is.
Does the enviromental impact of the method of longevity outweigh that of
the well known high enviromental impact of producing yet more concrete.

--
Mike W

Thanks to both of you - I thought I might be wasting my time - but the
environmental one is an interesting one and I feel we (generally) don't do
enough maintenance as replacement is always more fun - eg. Councils allow
buildings to suffer lack of basic maintenance (gutters cleared, woodwork
painted, etc) then lo and behold the place has to be demolished as it will
cost too much to repair. Similar examples - Must buy some new outside Xmas
decorations from China - I can't be bothered to use the old ones - anyway -
I fancy a 6 foot Santa Snowstorm. My 4 year old widescreen 32 inch TV will
have to be replaced before its time so that I can play with a new Plasma or
LCD screen - Damn - the programmes are the same!

I will leave my new posts alone and hope that in my old age I won't need to
get someone to dig out the lumps of concrete that they have been set into -
half a pitch away from the previous concrete lumps that held the wooden
posts.

John