Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Converting High-def to low-def, does it work

On 15 Dec 2006 11:07:03 -0600, T o d d P a t t i s t
wrote:

mm wrote:

I live alone, and I had planned, rather than buy several high def tv's
in 2009, to buy one converter which I will put where my VCR is, and
use it to pipe low-def signals to all the tv's in the house.**

A converter is a tuner and only tunes one channel at a time.
Your idea would work in theory, but you'd only get one
channel converted at a time (no multiple TVs/VCRs watching
different channels) and you'd need some way to control it
remotely so you could change channels. It doesn't sound
very practical to me - the remote control setup would
probably cost as much as multiple tuners.

I suggest you wait until 2009. The switchover date may get
pushed back again, and if not, you don't want to buy until
everyone is buying and the price drops due to the mass
production and volume sales.

Tht's a good idea, but I'm told by a guy who seems to know something
about this stuff that the decision is already made and the kind of
converters they will be selling even then will have the defects in
quality and picture size and shape that I mentioned.

Have you heard anything about that?

IIRC, the government will be
providing some subsidies for these converters.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)