Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Steve is offline

Default Translucent Black staining technique

Mike Marlow wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
Stephen Jones wrote:
Leuf wrote:
The effect you're seeing there is from the grain of the wood, not
anything special about the stain. It's (very) curly maple.
I'm not really talking about the wood, I'm just talking about the type
of stain used. The sap wood is gray and the grain is black and I want
to know how to get that effect.

This picture is an example of the same type of curly maple with no
stain. First, unfinished:

http://www.cyrguitars.com/EUB_Body_Rough_Cut_02s.JPG

Then the same piece with an oil/poly wipe-on finish:

http://www.cyrguitars.com/EUB_Completed_06S.JPG

Note how the lines of the curly figure run at right angles to the grain
of the wood.

Nice piece of wood Steve. How does it play? What is the maple cap attached
to?

The body is a solid piece of swamp ash 1-3/4" thick. I hollowed out two
compartments in the back side, one for a preamplifier and another for a
9v battery box. Other than that, it's solid. The fingerboard and
tailpiece were made from a piece of Macassar ebony I got from Woodcraft.
The neck is birdseye maple with a 1/4" walnut stripe.

It plays very nice, but the fact is I'm not really qualified to judge
that - this is the first and only upright bass of nay kind I've ever
played for more than a minute or two. But I've been playing guitars and
electric basses for over 40 years.

My plan for the next one is to make the body semi-hollow, with a Sitka
spruce bookmatched top and flame maple back. I'm still working on the
body design. I want it to have figured maple on the sides as well as the
back.

--Steve