Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default Wire size for 40A welder

wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:17:49 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Here's the site: I thought it shoul be higher than that....
http://www.interfacebus.com/Copper_Wire_AWG_SIze.html
It seems to me like the old cable type service entrances for 60A
service were #6-3 plus ground (wrapped around the bundle).

I'm no electrician so I'm not sure what they're giving the specs for but
just think of it this way. According to that table, 14 ga is only rated to
5.87A. We all have a lot of problems if that's the case given the number
of 15A circuits we have in our houses! I'd look for another chart or
better yet, get into an NEC manual. If memory serves, 8 ga THHN/THHW or NM
should work fine for 40A.
Cheers.
cc