Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.engineering.electrical,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ian Malcolm Ian Malcolm is offline

Default 2 "ground rod" questions (Thumper aka cable fault locator)

Ignoramus23437 wrote:

Ian, thanks for your friendly advice.

See another post (outcome post) that I posted today. I tested the unit
more today. This thing seems to have a ground fault (manifested by
blowing GFCI), and thus it should be considered broken. I will part it
out and will try to learn something as I do so, it has a lot of
interesting HV parts that I mentioned in the outcome post.

I've seen some phantom GFCI tripping on the assymetric inrush current on
larger high voltage transformers especially if one side of the secondary
is grounded. I wouldn't write it off before it had failed a Hi-Pot test
between the commoned live and neutral and chassis. Some stuff just cant
be run off a consumer GFCI.

Before parting it out, it might be worth seeing if there is any interest
in it from the Tesla coiler and coin shrinking communities.

If you do part it out make sure you have worked out a safe procedure to
confirm the capacitors are fully discharged and keep their terminals
shorted in storage. (I seem to remember this issue coming up with a
previous purchase you made)

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.