Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default burner distance from grate on gaz range...unusual?

"pascalou" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just bought a new gaz range and the grates are so high, I think there's
too much heat lost around the pots... even if I use a smaller burner
than the pan...

Can somebody give me the typical distance from the top of the flame to
the top of the grate (where the pan sits...) I think I have too much
room in there. I guess the distance from the top of the burner cover
would also
be adequate...

Should the tip of the flame touch the pan surface like on small camping
stove or shall there be room?

The hottest part of the flame varies with the height of the flame which
varies with gas flow. Thus, the efficiency (thermal transfer) is variable
and one would assume that the range has been designed for maximum efficiency
at average gas flow. Which range did you buy?