Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] furious.0@hotmail.com is offline

Default 2nd floor noise and smell woes

Jorabi wrote:
I own a 2-family house ... I live upstairs and rent out the
downstairs. I removed all the carpeting on my floor due to
allergies. My entire flat has hardwood floors that need
refinishing badly.

The problem is that noise travels too easily between floors.
Besides my footsteps and my/their entertainment/talking/sex
noises, my floor also squeaks and clicks a lot.

The second problem is that smells travel from the 1st floor up
to mine. They smoke and cook a lot.

I can't think of any options for quieting the noises ... I can't
get to the floor joists and I can't put screws through the
hardwood from above because I don't plan on covering it again
with carpet.

I also can't think of anything for the smells ... will sanding
and refinishing my floors stop them?

Games I like to play!