Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Can't get good ruling on phone line grounds - Thanks all

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

Top posted for closure

You wish...

As to CAT 3 being phone cable, sorry I'm a computer systems
architect the word CAT 3 means networking to me.

You may be right. However, I am unaware of any computer networking
application that specifies Cat 3 cable.

Besides I thought CAT 1 was phone cable?

Some of the garbage cable cranked-out by various manufacturers for the
first
5-7 years after 1984 might qualify as Cat 1, although I don't think it is
THAT
good.

The good, old "light olive gray" "quad" wire (red/green/yellow/black) used
for
decades would probably qualify as Cat 2 - whatever THAT means.

I have never seen any "Cat" other than 3 and 5e. Whatever happened to
1,2,
and 4?
--

JR

CAT 4 was a placeholder so far as I know, it was never in use. CAT 3 I've
only seen in 10 Mbit connections, old computer networks but still widely in
use. I think CAT 2 was the same as CAT 4, basically just a placeholder.
CAT 5 is 100 Mbit connection line, CAT 5e is 1,000 Mbit connection, CAT 6 is
1,000 Mbit, plus providing power capability. Really it's all the same
cable, just better tolerances and quality - except CAT 6 which has
additional pairs. ****That's how I know it. That's not the pedantic and/or
exact definition, there are better descriptions of it out there. So if
anyone chimes in looking for an argument I won't even bother - no trolling
here please!****

Anyway the whole project is on hold until Seattle gets back to normal, I
doubt the phone company has time to worry about my home re-wiring project at
this time. Hell, the entire town of Issaquah is out of power, at least it
was when I spoke to the local Lowe's guys - and Issaquah is a BIG town, not
some podunk.