Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default Sealing wood paneling

Chris Snyder wrote:
My house has a finished attic. I can tell it was done by a DIY
previous owner. The walls are comprised of wood paneling over the
studs with fiberglass insulation behind them. This winter, the attic
has been fairly cold. Also, after a windy day the attic smells like
the cellulose insulation that is in the unfinished part of the attic
(as well as underneath the finished part, I'm assuming). It appears
that there are some substantial gaps at many places in the paneling.

Is it worth it for me to go around with caulk and try to seal all of
the gaps, or is trying to seal wood paneling not even worth
attempting? I'd love to replace all of the paneling with drywall, but
time and wife will not agree to that any time soon. I'm in Michigan,
so I'd like to make the attic more comfortable in the winter.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris Snyder

Well, if wife & time will allow, you -could- try just putting up plastic
sheeting or tape over the cracks where air infiltrates. Try to use removable
tape, NOT duct tape or masking tape! It'll only get rid of the drafts, but
that's a big part of feeling comfortable in a room.

Pop`