Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Default Another Termite Question

NSN wrote:
My neighbor just had his house perimeter and garage treated for a
small termite infestation. The chemical used was Dragnet. I thought
that Termidor was the best chemical to use for a contact type
termiticide. Does anyone out there have an opinion on the subject.

I did Google both but can find no article that compares the two.

Norm

Well, most exterminators I know, me included, feel that Dragnet is at
the bottom of the line as termite products go. It does not seem to last
very long. Dragnet is also what we call a "repellent" type temiticide.
More of a chemical shield rather than killing the termite...any termite
that comes in contact with the treated soil for a couple of years will
die, but they actually detect it and stay out of the treated area. If
there is a break in the barrier as wide as a pencil mark, they can take
advantage of it and re-enter the structure. Due to the nature of
repellent termiticides, just treating the perimeter of a home will
probably just push them inside around a bath trap, plumbing, or the
foundation wall interior if it is a crawl space situation. As you
mentioned, termidor would be the choice to use and it has actually
changed the way we apply it over products. It does have a perimeter plus
label, such as your neighbor has done, but the difference is I still
warrant the whole house when treated with termidor, with other products
I can only warrant areas of treatment. I would guess your neighbor
had a price choice of what would be used and he went the less expensive
route. If the company is warrantying the whole structure he should make
sure they are there for the yearly inspection like clockwork, though I
would be surprised if this company will be a long term survivor in the
business if he always uses Dragnet. Now after saying all that, you
might live in upstate New York where termites are few and far between
and pretty much anything may stop the initial invasion and the same
colony now moves on to an old tree root and all parties are happy ever
after.

Lar