Posted to alt.home.repair
Jorabi Jorabi is offline

Default grounding outlets???????????

How are you gonna do this? By cutting the bottom of the drywall
off through the whole house because it will be covered with the
new molding? What about places where you can't get through
bottom framing, etc?

wrote ...
so could i run the Romex through the studs when i am replaing the
molding like if i was adding a outlet?????? because like i said
basement space and attic space is next to none

volts500 wrote:
wrote:
I have a house that was built in the 50's and none of the outlets are
grounded. I am getting ready to add new molding through out the house
would this be a good time to ground all the outlets as well?? i was
thinking of running a single copper wire from the ground at the breaker
to the rest of the outlets. my house is on a slab so basement is out of
the question and i have valted ceilings. i just wanted to know if this
was a bad idea or not?

It's a good idea to do the wiring before installing the molding, as you
will most likely have some plaster to repair, however, IMHO, installing
just a single wire is a waste of time. Whatever labor is involved
getting the single wire to the outlets is going to be the same as if
you installed Romex. For an extra $200 -300 (US) you'll have a far
superior installation. After you do all that work, you will be glad
you spent the extra $.