Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Filter to remove AM radio from telephone lines

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:02:45 -0700, PhattyMo
wrote:

mm wrote:
I have a standard POTS line for a phone and if the extensions in the
basement and main bedroom are plugged in, the phones in the kitchen
and office play WBAL AM radio, 1090.

Are there any unused wires in the phone cables? Try grounding them.

This seemed like a really good and easy idea also, and I was going to
do it, but as the other post says, I found the problem when I had to
replace the phone that caused the problem, after it broke.

Thanks.

For instance,when they ran the phone wiring here,they used CAT-5..We had
two phone lines at the time (one mostly used for a dial-up
connection),so there 4 unused wires in the CAT-5 cables..I went out to
the phone box,and connected the unused wires to the earth ground connection.
It killed the bit of cross-talk we had and some of the noise,and the
dial-up modem would connect at a faster speed.
I even went as far as to connect the extra grounded wires to the unused
contacts in the phone jacks at a couple spots,to use the "extra" pair of
wires (yellow and black) in the (long) phone cord runs to act as a
quasi-shield also.But that trick only works with 4 conductor phone
cords,not the cheaper 2 conductor ones.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)