Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] rthniles@yahoo.com is offline

Default Musing: Art vs Woodturning

Joe, this is an extremely interesting thread that you started, albeit
discussed often. I was going to respond but Robert (nailshooter) keeps
expressing my opinion before I can! : )

I'm with you and Robert on every point. Turn for fun. If a piece
begs to be held, fondled and or used, it's the BEST art anyone can ask
for.

I totally agree that inspiration comes to different people in different
ways because of their brain (good with math, good with hand skills),
environment (raised with artwork, farm, mechanical), past memories (old
spoons, old bowls) or training (art school, retired engineer). When I
look at a piece of wood, I see a piece of wood that would be fun to
turn.

From Binh Pho to Richard Raffan, from Ron Flemming to Mike Mahoney, art

abounds and inspiration flows like Niagra Falls.

It's all be done before, we just can't copy that good and thus create
individual style.

Enjoy (key word)

Ruth
http://www.torne-lignum.com

wrote:
Bill in Detroit wrote:

SNIP

Here's the point: as it sits, that is a very ordinary sort of bowl. I
can sell it as a bowl for maybe $25-$35 or I can say "I don't have much
to lose ... let's see what I can REALLY do with this thing."

I'll let you guys know how it all turns out. I just took it off the
lathe tonight and hit it with its first coat of tung oil. It won't get
any leaves at all for quite some time. When it does ... who knows what
it'll end up looking like? If push comes to shove, there's always the
backyard fire pit on cool nights in the spring.

When -I- look at something my own hands have created and I am still
moved to say "wow" ... that's art.

Bill

Bill, all I can say is "why not?" I *NEVER* listen to the group
mentality of what the "art" of woodturning is supposed to be. Like
Joe, I like to get out and just use the lathe. I used to have a
wonderful railroad game that had a mode called "sandbox". All you did
was build trains, stations, and work the locomotives. It was a joy all
in iteself. You competed against no one, not even the computer. You
played just for the fun of it.

I think if you want to burn, pierce, shoot (tip of the hat to Phil
Brennion), paint, stain, dye, texture, cut, stencil, or any other thing
you want to do with your work you should. And I don't think you should
have another thought about it. Even if you are a serious turner, you
should have fun with this and do as you please; and experimentation is
certainly part of having fun and learning this craft.

Some turners are certainly very gifted and imaginative, and they turn
out some really wonderful projects. But I have mentioned this before
here, that seemingly the most talented of those are not hung up with
"what is a proper wall thickness" or "the rule of thirds" or accepted
finishes, etc.
For the most part they are pretty open minded and actually seem enjoy
hearing about alternative methods to an end.

For most of us here, this represents a hobby. (My definition of hobby:
If you don't make enough money doing it to support you and your
household responisbilities day in and day out, then it is a hobby.)
Hobbies should be fun. This is a great hobby to have since you can
share your results with others. And it has been my experience that
with something like you bowl, if you paint your leaves or anything else
in it someone will absolutely love it. Of course that might depend on
your painting skills, but you get the point.

Since this is your hobby, you should do whatever makes your heart
happy. You should paint that rascal and post the pics. I'll be it
would be great. You could even paint some green miseltoe leaves on it
and give it as a Christmas gift!

Follow your ideas...

Robert