Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Huntress Tom Huntress is offline

Default lathe belt trouble?

Thanks,

If I have to remove and replace the belt, how do I do that? I didn't get
any documentation with the lathe?

Thanks again,

Tom
"BAM" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Huntress wrote:
Ok, I know it may not have been the smartest thing, but I have a central
machines (harbor freights) 3/4 hp lathe.

Tom I have the same lathe, lube the shaft that the pulley slides on. I
lube mine about once a month to keep it free and easy to use. While in
their, check all nuts,bolts and set screws you can find. It is a good
habit to start. Belts can be gotten from auto parts stores or your
local small hardware store and are better quality then the one that
came with the lathe. As all ready mentioned also check your Reeves
drive pulleys for casting burrs and lightly sand them down if needed.
Another thing to check is the pin that holds the springs for the
pulleys ( it is in the shaft the pulley is on ). Others have had them
shear off and take the pulley plate with it. Ordering parts from HF is
cheap but can take a while to get to you (even if in stock). Having
spares around can be a good idea. I`ve had mine for a 1 1/2 years and
have had to replace 1 belt and the tool rest (broke when a large peice
of oak came apart). If ordering parts get a few extra face plates ($6
each) , they come in handy for making donut chucks etc. To give an idea
how cheap parts are, the spindle only costs $8.50 ( thought I had bent
mine but didn`t).