Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default What cable to use...

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:16:05 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Clint" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all....I am getting ready to replace the 60 year old wiring that
goes from my house to my detached garage. I recently had the house
service upgraded from a 60 amp fuse service to a 200 amp circuit panel,
and now want to replace the old wiring going to the garage. The
existing wiring goes through an underground conduit from my cellar to
the garage. I plan on having a compressor and eventually a welder
(automotive stuff...nothing too fancy), and nothing much else out
there. My question is; what guage or type of wire should I run out
there? I am planning on installing all the breaker panel, but not
making the final connections...I'm new at this stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The size and amps of the welder will determine what you need. That is a big
draw.

How BIG a conduit?
If it's too small, that may limit the size of the conductors you
can pull.