Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Window lube?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Thanks in no small part to posters on this NG, I have overcome any fear I
had of disassembling and repairing the windows in my house... got
everything in pretty good shape except one of the windows in the kitchen.
All windows are Anderson Narroline windows, most circa 1989 but the one
that I had problems with was dated earlier than that, 1984 I think?
Anyway, both sashes were stuck and there was no screen on this window,
which was above the kitchen sink - one that you just might want to open.
So I forced it open and found a bottom sash rotted along the lower edge.
D'oh. I bit the bullet and ordered two new sashes from Andersen in Low-E
glass as well as a screen (the upper sash was badly stuck, and this was
the only window in the house that was not "High Performance" or "Low-E"
glass anyway.) They arrived today and installed without a hitch, but the
upper sash stuck again as soon as I put the sash channel back in the left
side of the window. I'm guessing that either a) I need a new sash
channel b) I should shave a little wood off the frame to allow a tiny bit
more clearance for the sash channel, or c) I should lube the sash channel
with something.

I'm guessing that something like a teflon spray would be appropriate? I
don't think I want to use anything greasy on wood. Will this really
help, or do you think I'm looking at options a) or b)?

Also, I think I may have created more work for myself. I ordered the
window in white exterior and unfinished interior as that's how the rest
of the windows in the house are. However, someone went back and painted
the inside of all the sashes and trim gloss white. Now that I look
closely at the windows it looks like the exterior surface is just wood
with a really hard, smooth coat of white paint on it. True? Should I
just have ordered all white windows and saved myself the trouble of
painting? Should I paint the sashes installed or removed?

thanks,

nate

Spray silicone or candle wax (paraffin)

If both surfaces are wood the wax may be the better option.

The sashes are wood, but the liners (the mating part of the frame) are
vinyl.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

The silicone can't hurt. It is also easier to use.

Colbyt