Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet

On 15 Dec 2006 12:31:27 -0800, "PM" wrote:

Ok, so here's the deal, I live in a rented townhouse that does not have
an outdoor outlet. I used to run an extension chord in through the
kitchen window to a surge protector but that means my window is not
locked and also lets in cold air.

Do these windows have wood frames, or aluminum? I have aluminum frames
and they bend enough to lock over cords. I currently have cords going
out 4 windows, and they're all locked.

Last year I bought a light socket to
outlet converter and put it in my porch light which I then ran my
extension chord to.

This also gives you an indoor switch, so you don't have to go outside
(even when it's raining) to control your lights.

I was considering doing it again but I'm concerned
that there is too much electricity running through my setup for it to
be safe.
The wiring coming out of the light is just two small black
and white wires and I'm afraid that I might overload them and start a
fire. Does anyone have any advice on this? I usually string 3 or 4
sets into the outlet.

Of what size bulbs, and how many per set? There's a big difference in
electrical consumption. Like 6A (720W) for 100 C9 bulbs, .2A (24W)
for 50 miniature lights, and .015A (2W) for 70 LED lights.

Like the other posted said, a good socket should be able to supply 5A.
Don't try it with any more, and use fused light strings for safety.

Thanks!!

BTW, If you like colored lights, those LED strings have much better
colors.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask be to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster