Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Window lube?

Thanks in no small part to posters on this NG, I have overcome any fear
I had of disassembling and repairing the windows in my house... got
everything in pretty good shape except one of the windows in the
kitchen. All windows are Anderson Narroline windows, most circa 1989
but the one that I had problems with was dated earlier than that, 1984 I
think? Anyway, both sashes were stuck and there was no screen on this
window, which was above the kitchen sink - one that you just might want
to open. So I forced it open and found a bottom sash rotted along the
lower edge. D'oh. I bit the bullet and ordered two new sashes from
Andersen in Low-E glass as well as a screen (the upper sash was badly
stuck, and this was the only window in the house that was not "High
Performance" or "Low-E" glass anyway.) They arrived today and installed
without a hitch, but the upper sash stuck again as soon as I put the
sash channel back in the left side of the window. I'm guessing that
either a) I need a new sash channel b) I should shave a little wood off
the frame to allow a tiny bit more clearance for the sash channel, or c)
I should lube the sash channel with something.

I'm guessing that something like a teflon spray would be appropriate? I
don't think I want to use anything greasy on wood. Will this really
help, or do you think I'm looking at options a) or b)?

Also, I think I may have created more work for myself. I ordered the
window in white exterior and unfinished interior as that's how the rest
of the windows in the house are. However, someone went back and painted
the inside of all the sashes and trim gloss white. Now that I look
closely at the windows it looks like the exterior surface is just wood
with a really hard, smooth coat of white paint on it. True? Should I
just have ordered all white windows and saved myself the trouble of
painting? Should I paint the sashes installed or removed?

thanks,

nate

(all other windows working nicely, thanks...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel