Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Running outdoor Christmas lights without an outdoor outlet

PM wrote:

Ok, so here's the deal, I live in a rented townhouse that does not have
an outdoor outlet. I used to run an extension chord in through the
kitchen window to a surge protector but that means my window is not
locked and also lets in cold air. Last year I bought a light socket to
outlet converter and put it in my porch light which I then ran my
extension chord to. I was considering doing it again but I'm concerned
that there is too much electricity running through my setup for it to
be safe. The wiring coming out of the light is just two small black
and white wires and I'm afraid that I might overload them and start a
fire. Does anyone have any advice on this? I usually string 3 or 4
sets into the outlet.

Thanks!!

3 or 4 sets of what? C7 bulbs take a hell of a lot more power than the
little miniature bulbs which take a lot more power than the new LED
bulbs. Sets also vary in bulb count.

The actual wire in your porch fixture is almost certainly capable of
safely supporting about 600W of load (5A). The fixture likely has a
label limiting the bulb selection to far less, but that is a function of
heat buildup from the bulb in the fixture, not wire sizes.

Any string of lights should have a wattage or amperage rating on it
though you may have to look at the label next to the plug. The plugs in
the light strings are fused at something like 3A or 5A so if you string
the lights in series (end to end) aren't blowing the fuse in the first
light string plug you're fine.

Pete C.