Posted to sci.electronics.repair
hdtv? hdtv? is offline

Default Fair pricing

"Morgan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

Thanks for the advice. Fortunately (and happily) the customer is VERY
satisfied and impressed that once the OS blew up, I didn't just throw
up my hands and tell them to call the Geek Squad. Couldn't even
imagine not fixing a problem that happened on my watch.

It just shows to go you that no matter how long you have been working
on these things (and I have been working on electronics and computers
for 25 years), there's always something new to bite you in the butt.
And now that I have had a real taste of Earthlink (both in their
equipment choices and their tech support processes), I will be doubly
wary of them.

I think I will charge them for the backup, since they did not know how
to do it and I set it up to do automatically (up to a server) without
intervention, and time on the phone (at a much reduced rate).

Cheers and happy holidays

Great that it worked out for you. The BSOD will scare the C*** out of any
client most times.

I charge a rate somewhat less than the Geek squad for backup configuration -
and the configuration I am working on is as you suggest a few keyboard
strokes and the job is done.

Your initial post gave me the impression of a newbie, rather than an
experienced pro with one of those jobs that did not go right!

Happy holidays, and may your clients only call on boxing day rather than at
midnight on Christmas eve!