Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-12-15 21:45:44 +0000, John Beardmore said:

In message .com,
writes

Heh. Who will do that? Private entrepreneurs with a good deal more
business sense have no access into the market or the LA. In a freer
market everyone that thought they could solve the problem could try to
do so, and the succeeders would and take over from the failers.

But you dont want that. I do.

I've nothing against a little 'evolution in action', but I'd hate to
create short termist, hire and fire, 'quarterly profits' culture that
was focussed on minimal cost, minimal provision, and minimum
environmental standards.

So would I. It should be based on these principles:

- short, medium and long term recognising that if the short term isn't
done properly, there will be no long term

- staffing levels to match the level of business. This inevitably
means hiring people when business is good and letting them go when it's
not. This is far better than carrying excess cost and putting the
business under. Again this is sonething that the public sector is not
good at doing because the customers are obliged to keep funding the
inefficiency.

- quarterly profits are important as are half year and annual ones.
The occasional shortfall is allowable, but continued failure should
result in change of management.

- cost should always be minimised while keeping the level of service
that the customer is willing to buy. This does not mean minimal
provision or minimal environmental standards. Customers should be
able to buy the service appropriate to them and for the best price.