Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair,alt.support.asthma,alt.med.allergy,misc.consumers
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Use of Antimicrobial chemicals in air filters - is it safe?

Noon-Air wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Many residential and commercial HVAC systems and standalone air
purifiers use filters that contain a form of
antibacterial/antimicrobial chemical treatment (eg. Bionaire/Holmes
models use the Microban/triclosan treatments). Is the usage of such
chemicals on the filter surfaces truly safe for the inhabitants'
long-term health? Is there any risk of evaporation/transmission of any
of the antimicrobial chemicals into the outflowing air, and thus risk
of potential health risk due to the inhalation of these substances? Or
do these chemicals dissipate so quickly that there is ~zero net
chemical or evaporative outflow after a few days' worth of usage?

Thanks,

Michael

Michael-

I believe "/triclosan" is the active ingredient in most anti-bacterial
soaps...it's probably safe but I avoid the use of them.....

because by using them we contribute to the "breeding" of super bugs
just use plain old soap (non anti-bacterial) it works by washing bugs
away not killing them

do you want triclosan resistant bugs in your house?

IMO just use a good (3M ~$15) filter & cahnge it every couple months

Instead of paying the $$$ for the 3M brand name filters, use a generic or
off brand MERV 8 or 9 pleated filter, and change it every month.

or get a "pemanent" washable electrostatic unit.

I don't recommend these at all... they create too much restriction in the
air flow, and with the half dozen layers of media, there is no way to get it
absolutely clean without complete disassembly and washing it out with an
anti-bacterial/microbial cleaner then reassembling it. I just hauled a 3
foot tall stack ofthem to the dump.... if you hurry, you might still find a
couple of them there in your size.
cheers
Bob

My electrostatic allows the guts to be pulled & run thru the
dishwasher....seems to be pretty easy & comes out clean (rinse water
clear)

both the 3M & the electrostaitc seem to work ok since the houses don't
have dust problems inspite of the occasional construction projects

cheers
Bob