Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gas or Electric Heat?

Doug wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:09:22 -0500, "Colbyt"

Central Kentucky KU Energy Actual bill 10/26/06

base rate (not full electric) 0.053629343629344 per KWH
Actual rate with all the crap and taxes added on 0.068429858429858 per KWH

Total electric is a little cheaper.

What's the energy source for their generators? Hydroelectric?
Are you part of the Tennesse Valley Authority's hydroelectric
generating plants?

Nuclear?

Any fossil fuel generation can't supply electricity at those rates...
The parts of the USA that depend on fossil fuel generating plants have
to charge about 3 times your quoted rates. That's about 80% of the
country.

TVA grid-wide is roughly 60% fossil (coal-fired), 30% nuclear, and 10%
hydro.

The Paradise Fossil Plant is nearest to C KY, so would be fair to
assume most of his power is, in fact, from a coal-fired plant.

It's now been 5-6 years since I was last at Paradise when was
supporting an R&D effort to evaluate a new type of on-line elemental
analyzer to aid in their attempts at blending much higher percentages
of western low-sulfur coal. I presume but don't have recent data that
trend continues as well as adding scrubbers on at least one unit was in
the works.

All the info on the TVA grid is available at

http://www.tva.gov/power/index.htm
http://www.tva.gov/sites/sites_ie2.htm
http://www.tva.gov/sites/paradise.htm