Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default UPVC double glazing / trickle vents

Bob Mannix wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
My plans for the extension contains the usual wording about ventilation
and windows:

Windows to habitable rooms to have opening vents not less than 5% floor
area of room, plus 8000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation. Kitchens
and bathrooms to have 4000mm2 controllable trickle ventilation.

But I've been looking at the UPVC windows around and the trickle
venting seems to be ugly sliding things on the inside, horizontal slots
on the outside, and looks horrid. Also, it is a noise path even when
"shut". What is the alternative to these, that will satisfy the regs ?

I don't believe there is as, to satisfy the regs, you will need a FENSA
certificate for the windows and FENSA certified units will come with trickle
vents automatically. I supect you wouldn't get a FENSA certificate without
the vents either as it's not their job to see if you are sorting out
ventilation in some other way, just to certify the windows.

Might be worth checking with your local BCO whether they are an absolute
requirement. They aren't round my way; I have no idea why. I've fitted
several under BCO supervision with no problem at all. The local window
manufacturers are well aware and I think don't routinely fit the trickle
vents!

David