Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default 2 "ground rod" questions (Thumper aka cable fault locator)

"Ignoramus31595" wrote in message
I have a particular device that I would like to test, which is called
a "thumper". It was made by associated research (model 8613) and is
comprised of two under-desk-refrigerator-sized pieces, about 600 lbs
total weight.

For those who do not know, a thumper is a device that delivers pulses
of high voltage (up to 25 kV DC in my case) and huge currents, usually
above 1000 joules energy, to a buried high voltage cable where an
insulation fault needs to be located to find out where to dig to
splice it. The lineman walks along the cable path until he feels
"thumps" under his feet from electrical discharges in the faulty
insulation.

Sorry, but I'm having trouble picturing what you are doing.

Are you saying you have a fault in a HIGH VOLTAGE (more than 1 kV) cable
that is on your property? Why isn't this the problem of the utility?

Underground high voltage cables are usually shielded with the shied having a
good portion of the conductivity as the center conductor. If you can
connect your "thumper" then you are at a place with the cable comes above
the ground surface. In my observation, there is ALWAYS a ground rod at
this point.

For a few years I was having so many problems with the 440' of low voltage
cable service the house that the repairman and I became casual friends and
we still chat when I take my kids to activities at his church. Anyway,
they found faults by connecting your run of the mill digital voltmeter (AC
volt range) to two sharp pins at the end of two poles. The guy would stick
the two pins into the ground and see if he detected any voltage drop. He
keeps moving the pins in the direction which gives the largest reading. He
can find the break within a fraction of a foot.

But this would not work with a shielded cable.