Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default CMS for publishing FAQ articles

Owain wrote:

Would it be possible for anyone to be able to create or edit a wiki
page, but for the page then to be held in a pending file (and locked
from further editing) until one of a trusted band of account-holders
approves the amendment to take the changes live?

If the wiki presents the account-holders with a list of pages to be
approved with the before/after changes highlighted, it should be very
quick to approved/reject the changes. Most FAQ pages are fairly static
anyway. If we have 10 trusted people who log in once every two days to
the wiki system, any edit shouldn't have to wait more than abg 4.8 hours
to be made live, so the system would be fairly responsive.

I envisage the account-holders doing a minimum of editing and if a post
needs rewriting because of grammar/spelling etc to reject it with a note
asking the author to rewrite it.

IP address blocking to limit the number of creates/edits by
non-registsred users in a 24/48/72-hour period to prevent automated
spamming.

Rejected edits to be held on file with a record of the account-holder
who rejected it, (and perhaps a brief note of the reason) for a
reasonable period, in the interests of openness, and to allow the author
(or anyone) of a rejected edit to rewrite it and resubmit it.

All of these suggestions are good, and all quite possible - but. Unless
I can find an open source wiki that does all of the above, and anything
else we want, the only choice is to write one. This turns a "I'll spend
a couple of afternoons this week doing uk.d-i-y stuff" project into
"I'll spend 2 weeks writing a wiki that does exactly what we want"
project - which is sadly something I can't do at present.

As I type, I'm evaluating a bunch of different open source wikis for
functionality. I'll pick the one that comes closest, and put it up for
group evaluation.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just an experiment. If we don't find a
solution that most people are happy with, it'll have to wait til I, or
someone else, has the time to write one.

--
Grunff