Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Can't get good ruling on phone line grounds

In article ,
"Eigenvector" wrote:

I always thought phone lines were grounded internally through the wire
leading to the pole.

All metallic cable SHEATH is grounded - or should be. The actual pairs are
NOT, except back at the Central Office. An externally grounded cable pair is
virtually unusable.

I found too many people referring back to the grounding on the pole
but never mentioning the grounding on site.

Telephone services have been grounded AT THE STATION (home, business, etc)
since 1876.

Alright, Qwest here I come. I'm sure it will take about a week to
sufficiently explain my question to them so that I get an intelligent
answer.

Hopefully, my words have expedited your search.

I am a Network Technician (Installer/Repairman) and have worked for Qwest for
33-years. Good luck with your project.

--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System