Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Can't get good ruling on phone line grounds

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 03:45:20 GMT, CJT wrote:

I think that ground is the phone company's. They might have something
to say about you removing it.

Good point.

It might be noted this what the Mythbusters had to disconnect to make
the "lightning kills you through the phone" myth wr. With the ground
connected, nothing happened. With it disconnected they had all sorts
of fireworks.
My experience is only with computers and surge protection. I know
losing the bond between the phone and the power will blow modems,
system boards and power supplies.

I always thought phone lines were grounded internally through the wire
leading to the pole. Actually that's why I asked, I found too many people
referring back to the grounding on the pole but never mentioning the
grounding on site.