Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Morgan Morgan is offline

Default Fair pricing

Hello all

I am stumped as to how to charge for a job. Let me give you the
scenario:

Customer recently changed to Earthlink DSL/wireless and although they
were able to get DSL working, they could not get the wireless to work.
Since October they had spent a number of hours on the tech help line
(to India) and nothing suggested worked. Windows XP home edition, Dell
computer, Syslink wireless router.

I was asked to come in to finish the installation. Following the
Earthlink manual, I set up the wiring from the DSL modem to the router.
Not only did the wireless not work, but Earthlink kept trying to dial
out on a regular old-style modem. I re-installed software. No change.
I de-installed software and began to re-install and got a blue screen.

System was completely down. Could not run in any of the Safe Modes,
couldn't boot off last know good config -- everything I did continued
to result in the dreaded blue screen. I ran disk, cpu, memory diags
and found now hardware error. I ran Dell diags, no errors.
Apparently, the boot strap was corrupted and there was no way to get
into Windows.

FOUR HOURS

I removed the hard drive, purchased a SATA-USB cable and recovery
software and was able to recover customer's personal data.

2 HOURS

I returned to customer, re-installed XP and reloaded data. Unable to
connect to Earthlink via DSL -- repeated calls unanswered, as Earthlink
had a service outage (unknown location) and no help desk available

2 HOURS

Returned the next day, got the DSL working, spent over an hour with
Earthlink techs on wireless problem, who then fobbed me off on Linksys
tech line. After 45 minutes, Linksys tech determined wireless router
was defective (!!!!)

Called Earthlink, got a Return Material Authorization number and had
them agree to send new, working wireless router and take back original
defective router.

3 HOURS

Okay, so I have spent 12 hours on this call so far and still the
wireless system is not up. What is fair in this billing? This has
been a very good customer and I believe that she will send me other
clients, but I still need to recover some of the time/money spent so
far.

How many hours (so far) would be a fair price?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have