Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default A GOOD Shop Vac?

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
Leon wrote:
Having worn out a couple of different brand shop vacuum cleaners I can
honestly say that a dust collector kicks butt for not too much more money
and offers a lot more capacity and much less noise.

I have a 1.5hp dust collector, but I'm considering using a shop vac
also. The reason is that the volume and air velocity differences
between the two are different enough that I think a shop vac might be
better suited to certain jobs while a DC might be better for others.
For example, the jointer and planer definitly need a DC. But for
hand-held tools, I would opt for the shop vac.

I tried to attach my DC to a reducer, then to a hose, then to the leigh
dust collection router attachment thingy. I wasn't too happy with the
results. It just didn't seem to suck hard enough to get all the chips.
I think the difference is the amount of dust created vs the size of
the area where the dust is being collected. On a planer, the cutter
head area is sort of large compared to the bit area of a router or the
space under a ROS. I'm sure someone can chime in with the science
behind volume vs velocity.

I tried that too with less favorable results. Eleminate the small hose and
keep the hose large until it attaches to the tool if possible. I have my DC
attached to my router fence and if the collection of debris is possable no
chips get away. Not all situations permit collection regardless of what vac
or collector you use. The fence has a 2.5 to 4" adapter.