Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
John Beardmore John Beardmore is offline

Default Waste disposal was Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-12-03 17:47:04 +0000, (sarah) said:

The whole premise was to have a range of services from a range of
providers so that people can choose what they want and with local
authorities taken out of the financial path between customer and
supplier. If you want to continue as you are then that is accomodated.

But if you want to continue having your waste collected with an
environmental impact / footprint that as small as it is now, you may not
be, and indeed, there is no guarantee that your existing service
provision would be offered.

Alternatively, you have the option to select products
based on the way that the manufacturer does the packaging. It's far
better not to have the packaging disposal issue in the first place.

Quite. But until legislation forces it on the manufacturers, their
marketing people, combined perhaps with a host of safety regs and
transport requirements, and sheer laziness on the part of some consumers
ensures the problem will persist.

There already is huge over-regulation in these areas. Adding more is
unlikely to alter the behaviour of consumers who want to buy a) on
price and b) on the attractiveness of the packaging.

Oh I don't know...

If you choose to jumble it all together to make one large horrid
mess,
you should certainly have to sort that out yourself.
Why? I pay for rubbish disposal.

And your rubbish is disposed of.

Then I'm happy. I am not happy if I am expected to do part of the
supplier's work for nothing. Either they reduce the price or they do
the work.

Oh there there !!

If the local authority wants it to be separated then they need to
organise that.

If waste recycling were merely some whimsical initiative undertaken
by
UK local authorities, that would be fair. Unfortunately it's not.
Recycling has been forced on them by EU directives which are in turn a
function of general (you may be excluded if you wish) recognition that
we're running short of sites for bulk waste disposal and that burying
valuable resources or sending them up in smoke to generate heat and
pollution is a Bad Thing.

If the total effect of each recycling procedure is positive (including
the whole lifetime of the product), then it may be worthwhile. I am
not convinced that there are very many actual cases where this applies.

Well - this is indeed the big one ! Is there any centralised reporting
and analysis of LCA data broken down by region ? That could certainly
inform a more systematic approach.

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore