Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default 12 volt impact wrench

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 15:12:00 -0500, krw wrote:

In article slrneo3ajf.l92.aznomad.2@ip70-176-155-
130.ph.ph.cox.net, says...
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 14:29:49 -0500, krw wrote:

I've stripped out the stock tire-iron. I've had some fold up.
Most of the stock irons put a sideways torque on the lug and the
iron slips off, rounding both.

Having a 3' hunk of blackpipe in the car
is still a better solution, though.

Having a good (cross) tire iron; priceless.

A good cross type tire iron won't generate enough torque. Nowadays I always keep
a 20-24" breaker bar and a 1/2" socket in the car.

I can put a *lot* of torque on a lug with a cross lug-wrench.
Stand on one end while lifting the other puts a tun on torque on
the nut, while making sure there is no lateral torque on the
lug.nut/wrench.

I was talking about situations where the lugnuts have been overtorqued by a
impact hammer.