Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default 12 volt impact wrench

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:45:54 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:50:20 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:21:51 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Given that they're going to do it wrong, I'd rather have them over
torque than under torque. It's safer to lose a bolt than the whole
wheel.
I'd rather have neither. It sucks getting a flat tire and being unable to
put the spare on because some asshole overtorqued the lugnuts. I don't
appreciate hiking back to civilization especially in bad weather.

You've got a tire iron and a jack, how can you not be able
to loosen the nuts?

You can be unable to generate 350ft-lbs. of torque with the jack that comes
with the car. I've jumped up and down on the end of the tire-iron and still
been unable. Sorry. I only weigh 200 lbs and can only generate
200-300ft-lbs of torque when I'm jumping down on the end of a 9" tire iron.

You put the tire-iron on the nut, handle-sticking out sideways,
to the right. Then you put the jack under the end of the handle
and crank it up. You might have an issue if the jack handle
is the same hunk of metal as the tire-iron, but that's
not usually the case, anymore.

I've stripped out the stock tire-iron. I've had some fold up.
Most of the stock irons put a sideways torque on the lug and the
iron slips off, rounding both.

Having a 3' hunk of blackpipe in the car
is still a better solution, though.

Having a good (cross) tire iron; priceless.

--
Keith