Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default 12 volt impact wrench

AZ Nomad wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:50:20 -0500, Goedjn wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:21:51 GMT, AZ Nomad
wrote:

Given that they're going to do it wrong, I'd rather have them over
torque than under torque. It's safer to lose a bolt than the whole
wheel.
I'd rather have neither. It sucks getting a flat tire and being
unable to put the spare on because some asshole overtorqued the
lugnuts. I don't appreciate hiking back to civilization especially
in bad weather.

You've got a tire iron and a jack, how can you not be able
to loosen the nuts?

You can be unable to generate 350ft-lbs. of torque with the jack that
comes with the car. I've jumped up and down on the end of the
tire-iron and still been unable. Sorry. I only weigh 200 lbs and can
only generate 200-300ft-lbs of torque when I'm jumping down on the end
of a 9" tire iron.

That's why I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar instead of a short tire iron.
I don't need to jump on it,either.You can generate more torque by lifting
up on the breaker bar/lugwrench then trying to push down on it with your
weight.

Is "G" suggesting you use the tire jack to lift up on the lugnut wrench to
break loose the lugnuts? A great opportunity to have the thing slip and go
flying with some force in a random direction.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik