Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas or Electric Heat?

"HerHusband" wrote in message

1. Electricity can be generated in many different ways (hydroelectric, gas
fired plants, wind generators, coal generators, nuclear, fuel cells,
etc.).
If one source runs low, there are other ways of generating electricity. So
it's fairly "future" proof. If you choose gas, you're basically stuck with
gas, even if supplies dwindle and get more expensive in the future.

Personally, I don't see this being a big factor for the n ext 30 to 50 years
or more. We shold have more methods though.

2. Electric heat is 100% efficient. In other words, the heater I buy today
won't be "old technology" in a few years and need replacing. Of course,
the
methods used to generate the electricity aren't 100% efficient, but those
improvements are made by the power company, not by me.

I'd have to pay a premeium of about $2,000 a year not to keep my old
technology. Since I've owned my house, translated to today's dollars, that
would be a $50,000 premium so far. No thanks, I'll take my chances with
having to replace my heater.