Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Gas or Electric Heat?

Which is cheaper, Gas or Electric [heat]?

I'm sure that varies by region, and by the availability of the fuel at the
time.

However, I prefer electric for a number of reasons, even if it isn't
necessarily the cheapest option.

1. Electricity can be generated in many different ways (hydroelectric, gas
fired plants, wind generators, coal generators, nuclear, fuel cells, etc.).
If one source runs low, there are other ways of generating electricity. So
it's fairly "future" proof. If you choose gas, you're basically stuck with
gas, even if supplies dwindle and get more expensive in the future.

2. Electric heat is 100% efficient. In other words, the heater I buy today
won't be "old technology" in a few years and need replacing. Of course, the
methods used to generate the electricity aren't 100% efficient, but those
improvements are made by the power company, not by me.

3. Electric heat is safe (barring flammables too close to the heater). No
worries of gas leaks, carbon monoxide poisoning, or explosions.

4. Electric heat is easy to zone. We installed individual electric wall
heaters (King Electric Pic-A-Watt heaters) in each room. This lets us heat
only the rooms we are in, and set the temperature lower in the bedrooms
than other rooms. This also means no ductwork to make noise, collect dust,
spread allergens, etc... Another benefit of individual zoned heaters is if
one fails, you still have heaters in other rooms to keep warm while you fix
it.

5. Electric heat doesn't pollute. Yes, some of the generating sources cause
pollution, but those are better monitored and regulated than home furnaces.

Just my 2 cents...

Anthony