Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Using mirror as a door

wrote:

But, because I would already have to laminate something to the back of
the mirror to protect the silvering, my thought is tempering would be
less necessary. If it breaks, the laminated backing would hold it
together.

Any thoughts on what to use to laminate to the back to protect the
silvering and to provide protection in the event that it breaks? Would
contact cement be safe to use on the back of a mirror?

Take your mirror to a glass plate. They can put the safety coating on
for you. I just had it done for several mirrors. I'm going to put my
windows in a wood frame though.
However, the glass company I bought from makes medicine cabinents
similiar to your design. I'd ask if the glass company could attach a
suitable hinge to the mirror as well.
Then I'd build the cabinent portion to accomodate their hinge.