Posted to uk.d-i-y
judith lea judith lea is offline

Default Polishing Brass Knockers!

Thomarse wrote:
Hello!

A very short and simple question.. I am going to paint my front door
and add some traditional Brass Victorian style knockers and knobs etc.
However I am leaving the existing letterbox in place. This is also
brass (I think) and is looking rather shabby since it has been expeosed
to the elements for many years.

Does anybody know of any good methods for cleaning the surface to make
it shine again? I'm sure there must be some simple old wives way of
doing this that has good results

I used toothpaste on mine and it certainly helped but to get it
completely renovated, I put a weak acid on it and it worked a treat.
However, within a short time it was back to square one as I did not
seal it with a lacquer spray - lesson learned the hard way.

Judith Lea
At home