Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Cole Jaws

"Woodborg" wrote in message

Hi
I finally recieved my cole jaws for the supernova 2 chuck. My question
to you all is; do you keep them on and then mount the normal jaws onto
the cole jaws or take em off after use.
I ask this as they have written on them, not to exceed 600rmp but tell
you to mount the normal jaws on them, but if you then spindle turn with
them on at 2000rmp...........

I suppose it's time to admit that I own and use NOVA chucks and the Cole
jaws. I have used them with the standard jaws mounted on the face. Yes,
they come with longer mounting bolts to do the job right.

Since I don't cut from behind the headstock, they're not in the way on the
back of a bowl, but they don't help a lot at the rim, that's for sure. As
to the speed, it's more than likely a liability figure than a mechanical
limitation. I run mine at almost seven hundred, and other than the ominous
whoosh of air, they do hold fine.

Like the man says, limited utility. You'd almost have to plan steps in
advance to gain any time even in a production mode. I did a set of salad
bowls, individual size, on them, because that was one of the uses mentioned.
Don't think I saved much time, and the worry for my knuckles kept them
white. Takes as much time to put the buttons on as it takes to fit another
set of jaws.

BTW, get a nice Yankee-type screwdriver for the buttons. You'll be glad you
did.

Now I own more than one body, so the point is moot.