Posted to rec.woodworking
scott scott is offline

Default A GOOD Shop Vac?

On Dec 13, 10:57 pm, wrote:
Can you recommend a good shop vac for an at-home puttering type not a
pro............price a consideration too!

I have two of the craftsman jobs, a 3.5 and 5 horsepower (don't ask how
they come up with those figures) and they both have super suction, but
are horrendously loud. Most vacs like this are loud. Ridgid is the
same as Sears (emerson electric I belive) but I'd look for the one with
best warranty, accessories, wheeled base and most importantly, hose
retention. Can't count the times my hose has come loose at the vac and
I've had to stop to reattach it.

I have beaten the living daylights out of these things doing a home
renovation where I was removing a house full of plaster, lath, etc. and
they keep going and going. I had a beam fall on one unit and it is now
crippled as one wheel is broken off, so that one looks a bit injured.
The impressive thing about these units how they can suck up nearly
anything - insulation from Romex, cat poop, gravel, nails, bolts, shop
rags, etc (watch where you point it). You quickly learn that they are
far superior to any broom or such.

One time our house keeper flushed a rag down the tolit and stopped it
up. I scratched my head for a while but then got out the shop vac and
wrapped a towel around the end for a good seal, then stuck it down in
there and it got the water and then removed the rag - saving a big
plumber bill and time.

Good luck