Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Recoating shed roof with bitumen paint?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:50:51 +0000, Adam Funk wrote:

Do you mean a tin of it, once opened, doesn't last long even stored
properly? In that case, I'd better look in the old tin before I get
set up to use it....

Oh no, the tin lasts a long time. And I think any old solvent would do to thin
the stuff if it had dried up a bit. Let it get good and warm give it a good
stir, and off you go.

I meant that the bitumen paints I've used all have weathered off fairly quickly.
There's a few that supposedly last a lot longer: some sort of water-soluble
acrylic roof paint, or two-pack epoxy stuff. One look at the label: coverage
rates and the price tag mean that I can either put up a new roof for the money,
or keep the money and slap paint on every two years or so.

Thomas Prufer